Frequently Asked Questions

Atlanta’s John Marshall has compiled a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ), listed below by department or area of interest. If your particular question is not addressed, please reach out to the corresponding department.

Our staff listings are located here.

Admissions - Accepted Students / Orientation

Does the Law School have a COVID-19 vaccine policy?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School has discontinued its COVID-19 vaccination policy for students and employees. Moving forward, the Fall 2023 entering class will not be required to provide proof of vaccination or submit negative test results to attend. The Law School, however, will continue its Campus COVID-19 Protocols that inform what to do if an individual tests positive and how to safely return to class. For more information about how AJMLS handled the COVID-19 pandemic, click here.


When is new student orientation?

Orientation information may be found here.

Is new student orientation mandatory?

Yes. The in-person orientation is mandatory. If you have a scheduling conflict with the mandatory event days, please email Dean Harrison at

Is there a dress code?

Yes. The first day is business attire, all following days are business casual.

Business attire, summarized: dark suit with a light shirt or tailored dress, conservative tie/simple jewelry, dark/polished closed-toe shoes.

Business casual, summarized: khakis, dress pants, or skirt; button-down long-sleeve shirt, sweater set, or blouse; have a blazer handy.

Where do I park for Orientation?

Please note the locations for each day of programming. Orientation will be split between the State Bar of Georgia (a great perk of our Downtown campus!) and the Law School. Please familiarize yourself with your travel options in advance, make a plan, and arrive early to account for any traffic or delays.

When traveling to Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School at 245 Peachtree Center Ave. NE

General directions to campus from each major highway may be found here. Students will have the opportunity to purchase a parking pass from the Office of Student Accounts and the application information for Fall 2023 is available on the Forms page. The parking garage that you will use is located at 227 Courtland Street, Atlanta, GA 30303, outlined on our site here. If you purchase a pass through the Student Account’s Office by Tuesday, August 1, 2023, you will be able to pick it up on Saturday, August 5, 2023, at the Convocation on Professionalism for use throughout Orientation and beyond. Students who opt to reserve parking independently may find the following resources helpful: interactive map of Downtown Atlanta public parkingLanier Parking garage search tool.

MARTA is Atlanta’s railway, with two stations a reasonable walking distance from AJMLS. The closest station is Peachtree Center (roughly a three-block walk). The second closest station is Civic Center (roughly a four to five-block walk). Standard MARTA fares may be viewed here, and rides may be purchased on-site at your origination station. Students who wish to ride the train more frequently may purchase reduced-rate monthly passes through the Student Account’s Office; information and pricing may be found on this page. If you purchase a reduced-rate MARTA pass through the Student Account’s Office by Tuesday, August 1, 2023, you will be able to pick it up on Saturday, August 5, 2023, at the Convocation on Professionalism for use throughout Orientation and the remainder of the month of August.

When traveling to the State Bar of Georgia at 104 Marietta St. NW

Onsite parking is available at the State Bar of Georgia on a first come first serve basis for $10 per day.

If you would like to park at the Law School and walk to the State Bar, it is roughly a 15-minute walk and .6 miles. Here are the recommended walking routes from Google Maps.

There are two MARTA stations a reasonable walking distance from the State Bar. The first is the Georgia World Congress Center/CNN Center Station (roughly 7 minutes and .3 miles), and the second, the Five Points Station (roughly 7 minutes and .3 miles). Standard MARTA fares may be viewed here, and rides may be purchased on-site at your origination station. Students who wish to ride the train more frequently may purchase reduced-rate monthly passes through the Office of Student Accounts; information and pricing may be found on this page. If you purchase a reduced-rate MARTA pass through the Office of Student Accounts by Tuesday, August 1, 2023, you will be able to pick it up on Saturday, August 5, 2023, at the Convocation on Professionalism for use throughout Orientation and the remainder of the month of August.  

What virtual platforms do I need to be able to access to complete my pre-Orientation checklist?

What do I need to do to prepare for the Workshop on Professionalism on Saturday, August 5, 2023?

As part of this workshop, you will take an oath, administered by a Georgia judge, to abide by the provisions of the AJMLS Code of Student Responsibility. Because you will be sworn to uphold the AJMLS Code of Student Responsibility, you must read the Code before Orientation. The Code is located in the Student Handbook on the website here.

I’m overwhelmed by the list of things to complete prior to Orientation. What should I do first? (For a more detailed explanation of this list, please refer to the Orientation Information email and/or the AJMLS Canvas Legal Foundations course syllabus.

Crucial Steps (detailed information in your email)Step Begin Date & Deadline
Accept Invite to Orientation Canvas Page
(AJMLS Canvas)
Immediately upon receipt
Kaplan Pre-1L Diagnostic Assessment
(estimated 4 hours to complete)
ASAP/Prior to beginning Zero-L & Other Orientation Material; Complete by August 5, 2023
Harvard Zero-L Program (Harvard Canvas)
(estimated 12-14 hours to complete, dependent on individual pace)
Upon receipt of Login Material; Complete by August 5, 2023
Pre-Orientation Materials (AJMLS Canvas)After Kaplan Assessment; Complete by August 5, 2023
Chief Justice's Convocation on Professionalism Reading (AJMLS Canvas)Opens (TBD); Complete by (TBD)
Mock Class Materials (AJMLS Canvas)
            a. Read Mock Class Cases
            b. Brief Mock Class Cases
            c. Answer Mock Class Problems  
After Pre-Orientation Material; Complete by August 7, 2023
Orientation Week Material (AJMLS Canvas)During August 5, August 7-10, 2023
Become familiar with FAQ PageImmediately upon receipt

Where do I find my book lists, syllabi, and first assignments?

First class assignments and the texts required for each of your courses will be posted on the AJMLS website before Orientation. Once the information has been posted, you will be notified via your AJMLS email account.

Do I need to do anything to register for my courses?

No. You will be automatically enrolled by the Registrar. Once you are administratively registered, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access your schedule. 

When will I be matched with my student mentor as a part of the Peer Mentoring Program?

All new 1L students will be matched with their peer mentor on July 31, 2023. Students admitted after July 31, 2023, will receive their peer mentor assignment prior to Orientation.

Do I need to bring anything to Orientation?

You will be gifted a law school padfolio with a notepad and pen upon registration on the first day to take notes throughout the program. No other supplies are needed unless it is a personal preference to bring your own.

Will meals be provided at Orientation?

Saturday: Lunch provided

Monday: Lunch provided

Tuesday: No meals provided

Wednesday: No meals provided

I have dietary restrictions, who do I contact?

Dean Sheryl Harrison at

If you are unable to answer a question about Orientation from reviewing this page, please reach out to the following contacts according to topic.

Questions about Canvas and the Legal Foundations course: 

Professor Sharon Phillips-Biondini,

Questions about Kaplan and the Diagnostic: 

Professor Nicholas Smith,

Questions about the Harvard Zero-L program: 

Professor Kari Dalton,

Issues accessing Harvard Zero-L: 

Dean Rebecca F. Milter, 

Questions about the Workshop on Professionalism, Peer Mentoring Program, and Orientation attendance: 

Dean Sheryl Harrison,

Issues accessing AJMLS email:


Is there a deadline by which the Law School must have my official transcript on file?

Yes. All official transcripts verifying all academic credits undertaken and degree(s) conferred must be received by the Law School by October 15th. A student who has failed to submit their official undergraduate transcripts by October 15 will be automatically withdrawn from classes.

When will I register for classes?

When you submit your seat deposit you will be automatically registered for your first year courses by the Registrar, and there are no further steps you need to make.

When will I receive my class schedule?

You will receive your class schedule in mid to late July.

When will I receive my required book list?

You will receive your book list in mid to late July.

When will I receive my first assignments?

First assignments will be available in late July to early August here on the website.

Financial Aid

What is Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School’s FASFA code?

The school code is G31733

When will I receive my financial aid award letter?

Award letters will be sent to your AJMLS email address in mid-July. You will also be provided a cost of attendance sheet at that time. The award letter will list all pending aid disbursements (including scholarships). If you need to decrease any amount shown on the award letter, just make the changes in the area(s) provided, sign the letter, and return it to the Financial Aid Office.

Please note, during the summer, FAFSA results are being imported daily by the Office of Financial Aid. As long as you have completed and submitted the current FAFSA and listed our federal school code on it (G31733), it will be imported by our department, reviewed, and your aid will be packaged.

Students will not be individually notified when the office receives your Student Aid Reports (SAR), but the Department of Education notifies you that the school has received your SAR after they have processed your FAFSA. The Office of Financial Aid will send an email notification to the student body when it is time for you to review your AJMLS award letter via the AJMLS student portal. This email notification will be sent prior to the start of fall classes.

The website says that I need the school’s cost of attendance sheet, my financial aid award letter, and access to my student account in order to complete Entrance Counseling. What do I do?

It is recommended that you have these documents, only if the school has released the information to you; however, you can still complete entrance counseling without them. If you prefer to wait until you have access to the recommended information, you can complete entrance counseling in July without penalty.

What loan amount should I enter when applying for the Grad PLUS Loan?

When applying for the PLUS Loan you want to make sure you borrow enough aid to cover the full cost of attendance. Under the “Loan Amount Requested” section it is recommended that you select the first option: “I want to borrow the maximum Direct PLUS Loan amount for which I am eligible, as determined by the school.” This way you can be sure to have the right amount of loan eligibility. You can always adjust the amount after you receive your financial aid award letter.

I have an in-school deferment request that must be signed by a school official, to whom should I send it?

Any deferment of loans for incoming students will not go into effect until the start of the fall semester. Therefore, it would be best to bring the request form with you to Orientation. At that time, a representative from either the Registrar’s Office or Financial Aid can sign the form. Also, student enrollment data will be sent to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) on August 15th. Most loan servicers will be notified of student enrollment via the NSC. Check with your loan servicer to verify that they use the NSC for enrollment updates. If they do, it will save you the hassle of sending a paper form as the deferment will be done electronically.

I have additional financial aid questions, who should I contact?

The Financial Aid team can be contacted at


I’m in the process of looking for housing, where do most students live?

There is a wide variety of housing options available for our students. We recommend using as a starting place or review our Housing & Classified Ads page.

I’m interested in finding a roommate; do you all have a roommate matching service?

If you will be looking for a roommate when you arrive in Atlanta and would like to be included in the roommate pool, please fill out the Roommate Matching Form. The information you provide will be entered into an Excel spreadsheet and distributed to only those individuals who opted to participate in the roommate selection pool. You will then have the opportunity to review the information and contact the individual(s) that you feel would be the best match for you.

Does Atlanta offer a public transit system?

Atlanta has a public transportation system in the area called MARTA, which has a stop (Peachtree Center) one block away from the school. More information can be found on and discounted monthly rate cards may be purchased from the Office of Student Accounts.


When will I receive my AJMLS email account information?

You should receive your school affiliated e-mail address and login information by late June or early July. Your AJMLS email will be the main portal of communication while in school and you are responsible for the information distributed on this platform.

What is the Online Student Services System, and when do I receive my login information?

The Online Student Services System also referred to as “MyAJMLS,” is a web portal designed for students to access information regarding registration, student records, and student services. You will receive an e-mail with your login information and instructions in late July.

What information can be accessed via MyAJMLS?

Through the student portal you can view your current schedule, book list, bill & financial aid awards, and much more.

I have additional technology questions, who should I contact?

Harold Bieber is the Director of Information Technology and Facility Manager and can be reached at (678) 916-2690,, or

Admissions - J.D. Prospective Students

Facts and Figures

What Law School Admission Test (LSAT) scores and undergraduate grade point averages did the last entering class have?

Data collected 9/12/2023

Does Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School offer spring admission?

No. Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School does not enroll an entering class in the spring.

What is your accreditation status?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School is fully approved by the American Bar Association.

Does Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School offer both a full-time and a part-time J.D. program?

Yes. The full-time program is offered for students who are able to attend classes during the day. The part-time program allows students to attend classes part-time during the day or part-time during the evening.

What is the cost of tuition?

Full-Time Students$25,503 per semester
Part-Time Students$15,434 per semester
Technology Fee (fall & spring)$350 per semester
Technology Fee (summer)$175 summer semester
Graduation Fee (billed fall 3rd/4th year)$300
Past Due Student Account Balance$75
Installment Payment Application Fee$75 per semester
Late Installment Payment Fee$75
Transcript Fee$5
NSF Item Fee$35
SBA Dues $300 ($150 per semester, fall and spring only)

Are student loans available?

Yes. Student loans for educational expenses are available to qualified borrowers. The Title IV School Code for AJMLS is: G31733. For further information please contact Financial Aid at

Am I able to work while enrolled full-time in law school?

Yes. Full-time students may work but are counseled not to exceed 15 hours of outside employment per week. However, full-time students are advised not to work during their first year of law school.

How many credits are required to graduate?

88 credits are required to graduate.

The Application Process

When is your application deadline?

The Fall 2024 application is open from September 1, 2023 to July 22, 2024. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible in order to complete the admissions process in a timely manner and ensure consideration prior to the class becoming full.

What is required to complete my file?

A completed file contains the following documentation:

  1. A complete, signed, and dated, or electronically submitted, application.
  2. A 2-3 page personal statement (as an electronic attachment with the application or as an e-mail attachment to
  3. A reportable Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score. Applicants for the fall class must take the LSAT no later than the June test administration and are encouraged to register for an earlier administration.
  4. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Applicants must request that the transcripts be sent directly to the Law School Admission Council (LSAC). All applicants must register with the LSAC Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and have a CAS Report sent to AJMLS by the individual writing the letter. All official transcripts must be received by AJMLS by October 15th. All official transcripts verifying all academic credits undertaken and degree(s) conferred must be received by the Law School by October 15th. A student who has failed to submit their official undergraduate transcripts by October 15 will be automatically withdrawn from classes.
  5. Two letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s character, academic ability, and potential for successful completion of a rigorous law school program. Letters may be sent to LSAC to be included with the CAS report, or mailed directly to AJMLS.
  6. A current resume.

Do you accept application fee waivers? Is there an application fee?

There is no application fee at this time for entering 1L students.

Will the Admissions Committee review my admissions file if most of my documents have been submitted?

No. The Admissions Committee will only review completed files.

What does the Admissions Committee consider in addition to the LSAT score and undergraduate GPA in reaching a decision?

In addition to the candidate’s academic record and standardized test results, the Admissions Committee will carefully examine factors that indicate a high probability of success in law study. Such factors include but are not limited to: life experiences; personal and professional achievements; ability to overcome life’s obstacles, including personal or family hardships; the capacity for rigorous intellectual study; the self-discipline demanded by the profession; and a commitment to be of service to the profession and society. The Admissions Committee has determined that candidates with strong admissions credentials will be eligible for automatic admission by the Office of Admissions. Applicants whose entering credentials present a less clear picture may have their files reviewed in depth by the Committee. It is at this stage that the Committee carefully examines “the whole person” including the factors listed above.

Are interviews part of the admission process?

While evaluative interviews are not part of the admission process, our Admissions Committee reserves the right to request to interview a candidate.

How will I be notified of a decision?

Applicants are notified of a decision via email. Under no circumstances will a decision be given over the phone. However, applicants can see their most up-to-date status online, including any correspondence that has been mailed or emailed.

Do you require a seat deposit upon acceptance?

Yes. To secure a place in the entering class, applicants who have been accepted for admission must pay a $500 non-refundable deposit payable in one installment. The deposit due date will be noted in the acceptance letter. Seat deposits are credited to the student’s tuition account upon matriculation.


What is the LSAT?

The Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is a half-day, standardized test that is an integral part of the law school admission process. It provides a standard measure of acquired reading and verbal reasoning skills that law schools can use as one of several factors in assessing applicants. The LSAT is scored on a scale from 120 to 180, with 180 being the highest possible score. The test consists of five 35-minute sections of multiple-choice questions. Four of the five sections contribute to the test taker’s score. The non-scored section is typically used to pre-test new test questions or to pre-equate new test forms. The placement of this section will vary. A 35-minute writing sample is administered at the end of the test. LSAC does not score the writing sample, but copies of the writing sample are sent to all law schools to which you apply. The LSAT is designed to measure skills that are considered essential for success in law school: the reading and comprehension of complex texts with accuracy and insight; the organization and management of information and the ability to draw reasonable inferences from it; the ability to think critically; and the analysis and evaluation of the reasoning and arguments of others.

When and where is the LSAT offered?

Visit to find a location near you and the most accurate test dates.

How can I sign up for the LSAT?

You can register online at the Law School Admission Council website (, or you can contact them by phone at (215) 968-1001.

What is the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), and do I need to register with them?

The CAS prepares a report that it provides to each law school to which you apply. The report contains information that schools use, along with your other submitted materials, to make a decision regarding your application. Information contained in the report includes:

  1. An undergraduate academic summary;
  2. Copies of all undergraduate, graduate, and law school/professional school transcripts;
  3. LSAT score(s) and a copy of your writing sample; and
  4. Copies of letters of recommendation and/or evaluations processed by LSAC.

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School is a member school of the CAS service and requires that you register with this service.

Do I have to wait to apply until after I take the LSAT?

No. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible; however, no decision will be made until after we receive your official LSAT score as reported by the Credential Assembly Service (CAS).

Do letters of recommendation have to be sent to LSAC to be included in the CAS report?

No. Letters of recommendation do not have to be sent to the LSAC to be included in the CAS report. We do advise you to utilize this service, especially if you plan to apply to multiple law schools; however, we do allow letters to be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the individual writing the recommendation. All letters received must be on letterhead with a full return address containing the contact person’s information. Letters must also contain an original signature or they will not be processed. Recommendation letters received via e-mail will not be accepted.

Other Questions

Does Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School have on-campus housing?

No. On-campus housing is not available but our admissions staff can provide you with the contact information of a housing referral service by request or you may visit our Housing & Classified Ads page.

Does Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School have a Career Development Office available to aid me in the job search process?

Yes. The Career Development Office (CDO) provides employment and career counseling to students and alumni and acts as a liaison between the law school and the legal community. The CDO coordinates seminars, workshops, and forums regarding career options, resume writing, and interviewing techniques.

I am a practicing attorney and I want to audit a course. Can I do that?

Yes. Audit student status is available to practicing attorneys, working professionals, or other individuals, interested in taking law school courses for purposes other than receiving credit or a grade. To apply as an audit student, you must complete an audit application (request from the Office of Admissions by email) and obtain approval from the Associate Dean for Academics. Please note that Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School (AJMLS) students will be given first priority in class selection.

Admissions - J.D./Criminal Justice Certificate Program Co-Enrollment Prospective Students

Who should consider participating in the Criminal Justice Certificate Program (CJCP)?

The CJCP should be considered by any student who is considering practicing in the criminal justice arena – whether as a prosecutor, public defender, or private lawyer who handles criminal cases. However, all students who have a general interest in criminal justice will also find the program interesting and may want to consider it.

If I am in the CJCP does that mean I am committed to practicing criminal law?

Not at all. The CJCP simply packages a bundle of electives and required courses that are strongly recommended for the lawyer who practices criminal law. However, these courses will certainly not preclude a student from pursuing any field of practice. Once the student has completed all of the requirements of the CJCP, they will still have at least seven credits to use for additional electives of their choice.

Who is eligible to participate in the CJCP?

All students are eligible to participate, however, some of the courses required to complete the CJCP are not offered during the evening at this time. The program is not available to students that are only able to take evening courses. An evening student could take many of the required courses during the evening but would have to be able to take some day classes to complete the program.

When does a student begin the CJCP?

Full-time fall start students may begin the program in the fall of their 3L year.

Part-time students may begin the program in the fall of their 4L year.

What are the requirements to complete the CJCP?

Visit the main program page here.

Why did the program name change from the Criminal Justice Honors Program to the Criminal Justice Certificate Program?

We have many students who will pursue careers in criminal justice and did not want to preclude students from taking advantage of this opportunity because they did not maintain an “Honors” GPA. Instead, we will allow any student who completes all the requirements for the certificate, and graduates in good standing, to earn the Certificate. Those who maintain a 3.0 or better in the 7 required courses will earn a certificate “with distinction.”

Please address any additional questions to Professor Jonathan Rapping, Director of the CJCP, at

Admissions - JD-NEXT

Admissions – JD-NEXT

Please note, information published by Aspen Publishing about JD-NEXT supersedes information found on this page. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information below, we encourage you to do your own research.

What is JD-NEXT?

JD-Next has two core components: 1) a fully online course that introduces students to fundamental reading and analysis skills, and 2) an examination.

What is the JD-NEXT exam?

The JD-NEXT exam consists of multiple-choice questions and one unscored written essay.

Does Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School Accept the JD-NEXT exam in its admissions process?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School is pleased to announce a trial initiative for our admissions process. For a limited period, we will accept the JD-Next exam in addition to (at least) one LSAT score for Fall 2024 entry. This change is part of an experimental variance granted by the American Bar Association and is subject to review and alteration at our discretion. The committee will treat your JD-Next score as a complimentary factor and it will not replace the LSAT requirement at this time. 

How long will the trial initiative last at Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School?

The Law School reserves the right to terminate this trial initiative and revert to previous admission test requirements at any time.

Is one exam given preference or more weight than the other? (JD-NEXT vs. LSAT)

Not at this time. The committee will treat your JD-Next score as a complimentary factor and it will not replace the LSAT requirement at this time. 

What is the cost to test-takers?

The bundled price for the course and examination and score reports is $250.

When and how will scores be reported?

Preview scores will be available by January 1, 2024 for use in the Fall 2024 admissions cycle. During this first year, the testing vendor will report scores directly to schools that the applicant indicates. JD-Next will provide guidance as to how to interpret the scores in a way that admissions directors can predict academic performance in their law schools.

Will an increase in JD-NEXT score impact a rendered decision?

At this time, correlation data between a LSAT score and JD-NEXT score is not published by LSAC or Aspen Publishing. In the event an applicant is denied admission, a file will not be reconsidered by a change in JD-NEXT score but may be reconsidered by a change in LSAT score. This policy may change over time as data becomes available but is not guaranteed during the trial initiative.

Academic Achievement and Bar Success

What does the Office of Academic Achievement and Bar Success (AABS) do?

AABS is a learning & student-resource center focused on enhancing and optimizing the academic skills that underline law school success. AABS offers multiple opportunities for students to identify, strengthen, and leverage their academic skills through individual assistance, group workshops, and formal course offerings. Equipped with a team of academic support professionals with years of experience, AABS facilitates and assists students via one-on-one counseling and specialized course offerings. Whether you want specifically targeted practice with a particular skill or strategic study advice, AABS is here to help (located on the seventh-floor faculty suite). AABS is a great resource available to all students wanting or needing assistance during law school.

What is one of the most important student resources offered in AABS?

One-on-one Academic Counseling:
Available to all students enrolled at Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, students may set up an appointment with one of the dedicated professionals in this office to create an individual action plan related to your individual needs and/or academic skills. One-on-one counseling offers assistance in study schedules, exam-taking strategies on both essay and multiple choice exams, and other key academic skills, such as case briefing and course outlining/concept mapping. One-on-one counseling is the best way to get great advice on specific questions regarding law school performance.

What type of courses does AABS offer?

Academic Lab:
Ask any first year law student about their law school experience, most will say that law school exposed them to a whole new way of thinking. To assist students in this challenging new endeavor, AABS offers an academic lab to all first-year law students in the first semester. The lab focuses on the skills that drive law school success, such as critical reading, legal analysis, and learning theory. Through this lab, students will engage with problems encountered by attorneys and have multiple opportunities to actively practice the law school skills expected of them in their first year of law school.

Legal Methods:
Students receive focused instruction and intensive practical experience in the application of skills and strategies associated with expert-level legal learning and problem-solving in this course offered to a select number of students in their second semester of first year. The instructional methods in the course are designed to implicate higher order mental processes and achieve a deeper conceptual understanding of complex legal problems via active learning techniques, team-based learning, and problem-based exercises, in an environment simulating the working dynamics encountered by practicing attorneys.  Progress is reviewed frequently utilizing a combination of traditional essay exams, self-evaluation techniques, and peer feedback to encourage deep-level thought and to foster the development of the advanced analytical skills and habits of mind characteristic of highly successful legal professionals.

How can the AABS help me prepare for the bar exam or attorney’s licensing exam?

Before one can practice law, you need a license. While most prepare for the attorney’s licensing exam (the bar exam) after law school graduation, AJMLS students are provided a unique advantage to jumpstart their bar studies through the following required courses known as the Mastering Series beginning in the spring for second years enrolled in the full-time study of law. Mastering Legal Principles I & II (MLP I & II) provides an intense review of commonly tested bar exam subjects, such as torts, real property, contracts, federal civil procedure, criminal law, constitutional law, evidence, and criminal procedure, as well as several opportunities to apply, practice and assess the multistate bar exam (MBE) component of the bar exam. Students receive exposure, practice, and instruction on multiple choice questions as well as individualized feedback and strategies in preparing for the MBE. Mastering Legal Skills (MLS) introduces 3Ls to the Multistate Performance Test (MPT), a component of the Georgia bar exam, and several other jurisdictions. Through this course, students actively employ these skills through multiple assessments and exercises. Students will receive instructive and practical feedback with regard to their individual MPT performance along with numerous strategies to succeed on the MPT. Students will also be given numerous opportunities to actively self-evaluate their performance to leverage their ability to independently identify, address, and solve areas of opportunity to improve.

Does AABS provide any post-graduate support for the bar exam?

Studying for the bar exam is not something that you have to do alone without support and expert advice. After graduation, alumni are provided with an opportunity to participate in the bar success program. The supplemental bar success program is not intended to be a substitute for a commercial bar review but rather is intended to be an added benefit and support program for alumni sitting and preparing for the upcoming bar exam. The supplemental alumni program is a problem-based program that actively engages bar studiers with several practice assessments, such as multiple choice questions and essays, and specific strategies to optimize performance on the bar exam. Individual counseling is available on request and is provided to repeat-takers seeking advice and strategies on future bar exams.

In addition, bar exam takers that participate in the program are paired with a bar review coach, a member of the AABS team who offers support and strategies to students as they prepare for this difficult exam.

How can one prepare for their first year of law school?

One of the many skills utilized and emphasized in law school is critical reading and case briefing. The reading you do in law school is foundational to your learning. To strengthen this skill before law school, read as much as you can before starting law school. Read frequently, read things that don’t necessarily seem exciting to you, read complicated and dense material, and attempt to summarize your readings.

Are there any books that will help me navigate law school before starting?

There are several books written for students preparing for law school. One of our favorites is Open Book: The Inside Track to Law School Success by Barry Friedman & John C.P. Goldberg.

Academic Affairs

The Office of Academic Affairs is available to assist students with all of their academic needs. The ultimate goal of the academic program at Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School is to develop students into attorneys who will persistently display character and values that represent the best of our legal profession. Print a downloadable copy of the Office of Academic Affairs Frequently Asked Questions.

How many credits do I need to complete my degree?

To graduate, you must satisfactorily complete 88 academic credit hours within the allotted time. At least 60 credits must be earned at AJMLS.

Is there a deadline by which I must complete my credits to receive my degree?

Full-time students must complete all degree requirements within four years of starting the program. Part-time students must complete all degree requirements within five years of starting the program. All students, full-time and part-time, MUST complete 88 credit hours satisfactorily to be eligible to receive a Juris Doctor degree.

Who can I go to for academic advising?

For information regarding course selection, suggested prerequisites, and requests for graduation please see the Associate Dean of Academics, the Associate Dean of Students, or one of our Peer Academic Advisors.

What services do you have available for academic support?

AJMLS has an Academic Support Program that is offered to students at no cost. The program is designed to identify and address student study deficiencies and to assist students in adjusting to legal study and classroom requirements. Participation is optional but strongly encouraged. For further information on the Academic Support Program and other academic support services offered to students, please contact the Assistant Dean of Academic Achievement and Bar Success.

What are the differences between full-time and part-time status?

The primary difference is the number of credit hours that students falling into each group are required to take per semester. In the first year, full-time students have an academic load of 15 credit hours per semester. After the first year, full-time students are expected to take between 14 and 16 credit hours per semester. The academic load for full-time students cannot fall below 12 credit hours and a full-time student must complete six semesters of resident study. If a student wishes to take more than 16 credit hours in a given semester, the student must get approval in advance from the Associate Dean of Academics. The academic load for part-time students ranges from 8 to 11 credit hours per semester. A part-time student must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits and must complete 8 semesters of resident study. If a student wishes to take more than 11 credit hours in a given semester, the student must get approval in advance from the Associate Dean of Academics.

What is your policy on classroom attendance?

AJMLS has a mandatory attendance policy. If a student is counted as absent for more than 20% of class time in a course, the Associate Dean of Academics will be notified and the student will receive a “W” for that course.

Can I drop or add a course?

First-year law students cannot withdraw from a required course without permission from the Associate Dean of Academics. Upper-division students may drop and add on their own, so long as they maintain a proper semester load.

Can I take courses outside of the law school?

You are not allowed to take courses in another academic program or enroll in another school, college, university, institute, law school, or other program without advance written permission from the Associate Dean of Academics. If approved, you may only receive academic credit for graduate level courses taken.

Does AJMLS offer summer school for interested students?

The Law School conducts a summer session. Part-time students are required to take courses during the summer session. The normal academic course load for the summer session is 3 to 6 credit hours. Students taking summer school courses cannot register for less than 2 credit hours or more than 6 credit hours. The summer intersession which is separate, also provides students with an opportunity to get course credits during the summer. A student may take 2 credit hours in the summer intersession even if the student decides to take a full load during the regular summer session (6 hours).

What should I do if I have a conflict with a scheduled final exam?

Students are bound to the examination schedule, which is published at the time of registration. Final examinations will be deferred ONLY for good cause, which can include serious personal illness or injury to a student and/or serious personal injury, illness, or death in a student’s immediate family. If you are considering petitioning to defer your exam DO NOT NOTIFY YOUR PROFESSOR. You MUST submit your written petition requesting deferral to the Associate Dean of Academics at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled time for your exam, if possible.

Can I bring my laptop to class for note-taking purposes?

Policies on laptop use vary by professor, and you will need to check your syllabus for each course to determine your professors’ policies.

What restrictions are there, if any, with regard to working during the academic year?

First year, full-time students are urged NOT to undertake outside employment. Following completion of the first year, a full-time student cannot work more than 20 hours a week during the academic year. Any full-time student whose employment exceeds 20 hours per week will be transferred to the part-time program and will be required to reduce her/his course load accordingly. If you are interested in learning more about employment opportunities that are available on campus, please contact the Assistant Dean of Administration.

Can I get a letter grade for my externship(s)?

No. Externship courses will be graded on a Pass/No Credit/Fail basis.

Does AJMLS have a study abroad program?

Any student who wishes to participate as a visiting student in a study abroad program sponsored by an ABA accredited law school must submit a written petition to visit the Associate Dean of Academics. For study abroad opportunities offered during the regular academic year, interested students must submit their petitions at least 60 days before the first day of classes. For summer study abroad opportunities, interested students must submit their petitions to visit to the Associate Dean of Academics at least 14 days before the start date of the desired summer study abroad program.

What is AJMLS’ policy on accommodations?

AJMLS strives to provide reasonable accommodations, including reasonable accommodations for class schedules, examinations and other services, to enable students with disabilities to undertake the prescribed course of study.

What is the process for getting an accommodation?

Students desiring academic accommodations on account of a disability must have an evaluation by a physician or other state-licensed medical or psychological professional. The evaluator must complete and sign the school’s Accommodations Request Verification Form and this form must be submitted to the Associate Dean of Academics at least 30 days in advance of the date for which the accommodation is requested. The form can be found on the AJMLS website or picked up from the Associate Dean of Academics or the Associate Dean of Students.

Alumni Association


How do I make a gift to the Alumni Association?

There are three ways you may make a gift to the Alumni Association.

  • Give online
  • Mail a check to 245 Peachtree Center Ave. NE, Suite 1900, Atlanta, GA 30303, Attn: AJ Doucett
  • Establish a planned gift by contacting us at

Whatever manner you choose, we thank you for your continued support. For more information, contact the Director of Alumni Relations, AJ Doucett.

What funds can I give to?

Visit our Giving page to browse!

Are contributions to the John Marshall Law School Alumni Association tax deductible?

Yes. The John Marshall Law School Alumni Association is a Section 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and all contributions to the Alumni Association are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.

What are the benefits of giving to an Alumni Association scholarship fund?

By supporting these funds we provide scholarships to deserving students, we acknowledge the critical importance of giving back, we exemplify philanthropy for our students and community, and advance our school’s ability to compete with other schools around the nation.

What is the minimum gift amount accepted by the Alumni Association?

The John Marshall Law School Alumni Association does not have an established minimum gift amount and will graciously accept a monetary gift of any amount.

I am a student on a limited budget. How can I help?

The John Marshall Law School Alumni Association understands that students are not often in a financial position to make a substantial monetary gift to one of its scholarship funds, and it encourages students to only donate an amount they are comfortable with. Indeed, it is not the amount of the gift that matters, but it is the tradition of giving that advances philanthropy for our students and community.

Students are encouraged to show their support for AJMLS by attending alumni events and functions and maintaining contact with the school after they graduate.

John Marshall Law School Alumni Association

Is the Alumni Association a not-for-profit organization?

Yes. The John Marshall Law School Alumni Association is a Section 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and all contributions to the Alumni Association are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Is there a membership fee to join the Alumni Association?

There is no membership fee associated with being a member of the Alumni Association. All graduates automatically become members of the John Marshall Law School Alumni Association at no cost.

Alumni Events

How can I find out when and where alumni/AJMLS events are being held?

There are several ways to find out when and where alumni/AJMLS events are being held. You can: join the official alumni Facebook Group; stay tuned to your email; or you can contact the Director of Alumni Relations, AJ Doucett at We look forward to seeing you soon!

Transcripts and Records

How do I request a copy of my transcript or other academic records?

To request a copy of your transcript or other academic records, please complete the Student Action Request Form located on the Forms page.

Alumni Services

Where can I buy AJMLS alumni apparel, merchandise, and memorabilia?

Currently, AJMLS offers a limited amount of apparel through the SBA office. Hours of operation vary and the selection of merchandise is limited based on availability.

How do I get a free AJMLS Lifetime Google Email account?

If you are a graduate of AJMLS, you can obtain your free AJMLS alumni lifetime Google email account here.

Does AJMLS provide its alumni access to Westlaw?

Yes. AJMLS provides all alumni access to an Alumni Westlaw Terminal during the library’s open hours. The Alumni Westlaw Terminal is on a first-come basis. For more information, contact the law library at (678) 916-2660.

May alumni use the law library?

The law library is available to ALL alumni for both legal study and research during library open hours. A collection of practitioner-oriented treatises is located in the law library’s reserve area, and an Alumni Westlaw Terminal, located near the circulation desk, is available for all alumni to use.

The Alumni Board

What is the AJMLS Alumni Board?

The Alumni Board is a supportive body consisting of invited graduates of AJMLS that assists in the advancement of both the school and Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School Alumni Association.

How does the Alumni Board assist AJMLS and the Alumni Association?

The Alumni Board recommends to the Dean ways to develop alumni and community support for AJMLS and the Alumni Association and helps find ways to develop and promote alumni events and activities. The Alumni Board also assists in the solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship of external support for the Alumni Association and AJMLS. The Alumni Board also requires its members to commit a reasonable level of financial support to the Alumni Association of at least $1,000.00 per term.

Career Development

When can I start accessing Career Services?

Per the guidelines of the National Association for Legal Career Professionals (NALP), first-year law students cannot speak to anyone in Career Services until after October 15th of the first year.

How do I apply for On-Campus Interviews?

All job listings are available on the AJMLS 12Twenty site. Students may access 12Twenty here. Your Username is your AJMLS email address: Password: Password. If you have forgotten your password, you may request to have it reset by clicking the “Forgot Password” link located on the 12Twenty homepage.

What are Resume Forwards/Collects?

Resume Forwards are opportunities for students to submit their resumes online through 12Twenty for employment opportunities that are posted on this website. The Office of Career Services and Professional Development (OCSPD) will collect resumes that are submitted for each posted employment opportunity and forward them to the employer. The employer will then reach out to the students directly to set up interviews off campus. The Office of Career Services and Professional Development will post all employment opportunities on 12Twenty and collect and forward resumes that are submitted to 12Twenty. To participate in Resume Forwards, you must first check the 12Twenty job posting website for Resume Forwarding/Collect opportunities, and submit your resume through the website.

How do I get my resume reviewed?

To get your resume reviewed, please upload your resume to 12Twenty. Resumes are reviewed by the Career Services team on a first-come, first-served basis. The turnaround time for a resume review depends on the time of year and the events, programs, and reporting being facilitated by the Career Services team. We highly recommend that you not submit your resume for review at the last minute.

How do I set up an appointment to discuss career opportunities?

The Career Services team is available weekdays, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. to discuss career opportunities and tools to assist you in realizing your career goals. While walk-ins are welcome, it is preferred that you set up an appointment so that you will be afforded the time and uninterrupted attention you need to discuss your career goals. To set up an appointment, please call the Career Services team at (678) 916-2610.

How do I find out who my Career Counselor is?

Students are assigned a Career Counselor by class, which can be obtained by reaching out to the team directly.

Do I need a cover letter?

Each job description will indicate what application materials the employer expects. Cover letters are recommended as they provide an opportunity to state your motivations and to highlight the experience you have which aligns directly with the career opportunity.

How do I stay updated on events & seminars being held by the Career Development Office?

To stay updated on events and seminars in the Office of Career Services and Professional Development, you can do one of the following: Check the 12Twenty Announcement Board, JMTV monitors, or “like” our Facebook page at Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School Office of Career Services and Professional Development. You can also stop by the office anytime, which is located on the 18th floor.

What should I wear to an interview?

It is extremely important to make sure that you look your best for any interview. Make sure your clothes fit and are in good repair. Practice good hygiene, but do not wear perfume or cologne to an interview because many people are allergic to fragrances. For men, wear a dark suit, white dress shirt, a conservative tie and dress shoes that are in good repair. For women, wear a dark suit, a conservative blouse that is not too tight or revealing and close-toed dress shoes. Women should not wear platform shoes or shoes with a heel higher than two inches. Also, if women choose to wear skirt suits to interviews, they should wear pantyhose. If you have any questions with regard to dress, please contact the Career Services team.

What is the difference between an internship and an externship?

Internships and externships are considered non-classroom activities. You must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 to register for non-classroom credit. Internships are temporary work experiences that are often paid, full-time positions. An externship is similar to an internship in that it offers the participant practical experience in a field of study. However, externships are often shorter in duration and unpaid and are offered for academic credit hours. At AJMLS, externship opportunities are offered during the regular academic year and during the summer session. Students cannot receive more than 12 credit hours for externships. For further information on externship opportunities, please contact the Office of Experiential Learning.

Experiential Learning

Students who have any questions pertaining to the Office of Experiential Learning are welcome to speak with Dr. Jae Wyatt-Keyton, directly at

What is an externship?

An externship is a for-credit course, which includes both a law-related external placement (practicum) – supervised by an outside legal organization such as a court, nonprofit organization, or state or federal agency – and a seminar (colloquium). Enrolled students must pay regular tuition for all of the credits received through externships and clinics. For questions regarding tuition and financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid office directly.

Who is eligible for an externship?

Before a student can participate in the Externship Program, the student must:

  • Have successfully completed 30 credit hours (including all first-year required courses);
  • Must have at least a 2.3 cumulative GPA to participate in the summer program between 1L and 2L years;
  • Must be in good standing (not on probation and all fees and tuition current).

Part-time students are also eligible once they meet these criteria and are urged to plan ahead to create the time and schedule adjustments to take advantage of these opportunities.

Students with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and above may take up to a maximum of 9 externship credits during their tenure at the law school.

Students with a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.5 are eligible to take up to a maximum of 6 credits of externship.

What are Clinical Studies and Intensive Externships?

Law clinics provide hands-on legal experience to law school students and services to various clients. As they represent clients from the Metro Atlanta community and beyond, clinical students benefit from close guidance from clinical faculty and supervising lawyers.

AJMLS offers clinics and intensive externships in family law, health law, tax law, and veterans’ law. Applications for all clinics are due in the spring semester for the following school year.

Are Clinical Studies and Intensive Externships offered every semester?

No. Selected law clinics and intensive externships are taught only in the fall or spring. A few externships are year-long and start in the fall semester.

ClinicsSemesters RequiredMinimum Credits (each semester)Fall SemesterSpring SemesterSummer Semester
AJMLS Fulton County Family Law Externship2 semesters4 creditsYesYesNo
Fulton County Landlord-Tenant Mediation Program1 semester2 creditsYesYesYes
Landlord Tenant Hybrid Clinic2 semesters4 creditsYesYesNo
Micronesian Intensive Externship1 semester2 creditsNoNoYes
Veteran Law Intensive Externship1 semester3 creditsYesYesYes

How do I find a field placement?

Students are responsible for finding and securing their own judicial, governmental, corporate legal or legal nonprofit placements. For helpful tips on your search, see the Applying for An Externship section below.

I was hired for an internship, can I turn it into an externship?

If the internship meets the Externship Program requirements (see Field Placement section below), a student can turn an internship into an externship at any time before the add/drop period ends by enrolling in an externship seminar and requesting approval to register for the field placement through the Externship Program website. Students cannot convert an internship into an externship after the add/drop period is over.

What is the process for turning an internship into an externship?

Once you’ve received and accepted a job offer, go to 12Twenty and complete the Externship Registration Process (Secured Placement Application) – an online application that will request your contact information, employer information, and direct supervisor information. You will also indicate on the application how many field credits you will be requesting, which depends on the amount of hours you will work at the placement. You must register for at least 2 field placement credits.
After seminars are posted, register for one of the Externship Seminar courses via the student portal.

  • If you’re externing for the first time, you must enroll in the “Learning from Practice Externship Seminar” (CRS# D-665)
  • If you have externed before, you must enroll in the “Advanced Externship Seminar” Externship (CRS# 660)

Can I get paid and receive academic credit from the Externship Program?

No. Students are not allowed to receive any monetary compensation from the field placements, with the exception of reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses incurred such as parking.

How are externships graded?

Students are graded as Pass/No Credit/Fail, which is based on participation in the Externship Course via TWEN, factoring in the site supervisor’s evaluation of the student’s work product, work ethic, general professionalism, and the successful completion of work for the Externship Sponsor.

Students who are terminated or asked to leave a placement for any reason, including unprofessional or inappropriate behavior, will fail the externship.

Students who do not complete the TWEN course requirements will receive a grade of “F”.

What happens if I decide to withdraw from my externship?

Students may withdraw from an externship only with the permission of Dr. Jae Wyatt-Keyton and the Associate Dean for Academic Programs. See Section 502(d) of the Academic Code. Students should endeavor to honor all commitments made to their employer.

Applying for an Externship

What are the procedures for obtaining an externship?

Students are responsible for finding and securing their own judicial, governmental, corporate legal, or legal nonprofit placements. Students may apply to pre-approved externships opportunities posted to AJMLS Symplicity or may seek out externship opportunities on their own.

  1. If the placement offers to interview you, contact the appropriate person and schedule an interview.
  2. If the placement is with a private/for-profit law firm or attorney, ask them to complete and return the Private Firm/For-Profit Placement Certification Form to the Office of Experiential Learning to determine the placement’s eligibility no less than 14 days prior to the first day of class for the upcoming semester.
  3. Once an offer is made, contact the attorney to accept or decline the offer.
  4. Coordinate the dates and times of employment with your new employer.
  5. After you have secured a placement, register your externship on Symplicity under “My Account”.

What resources are available to help me identify a placement?

Start by generating a list of judicial, governmental, corporate legal or legal nonprofit offices that interest you as possible field placements where you might want to work.

Second, check external resources for externship listings.

  1. External: Search the org or websites for public sector internship opportunities. Search for federal government internship/externship opportunities. Where available, search specific agency and organization websites for directions on how to apply for internship/externship opportunities. Many agencies have well-developed externship programs with very specific application procedures. Follow any published procedures. If you do not see a listing, contact the office directly and ask about openings for legal externs.

Third, make an appointment with the Office of Experiential Learning staff for guidance and nonprofit and government searches.

Finally, think about the areas of law that interest you and contact Law School faculty in those areas to set up appointments to identify organizations that perform such work.

Can I do an externship at a place that is not listed on the Approved Placement webpage?

Yes, students can seek an externship at a placement site that they find on their own. Once a student has secured a placement, the student must complete the Secured Placement Application. If the placement is with a private/for-profit law firm or attorney, the student is responsible for urging the placement site to submit a completed Private Firm/For-Profit Placement Certification Form by the designated deadline.

How do I identify a Private Placement Externship?

A student interested in a Private Placement Externship is responsible for identifying both the law firm or office and an attorney at the firm or office who is willing to serve as a supervisor. The supervisor must agree to meet all law school requirements for the Private Placement Externship including providing assignments and feedback, signing timesheets, assisting the student in identifying externship goals, and completing evaluations.

All Private Placement Externships must be approved in advance at least 14 business days before the first day of class in the semester the externship is requested by Dr. Jae Wyatt-Keyton at Dr. Wyatt-Keyton will then contact the placement to determine whether the placement qualifies for externship credit.

Can I do an externship outside of Atlanta, Georgia?

Yes, during the fall, spring, and summer semesters, students can earn academic credit for an externship at a judicial, governmental, or nonprofit legal placement anywhere in the country.

What is the Phase 1 Application and why are application deadlines so early?

To ensure that all students have the opportunity to participate in the consortium of the Georgia Law Schools sponsored externships, the process starts early in the semester. This allows AJMLS students to be competitive when other Georgia schools are submitting their applications to externship placements since most other Georgia schools also have an early application process.

If I haven’t heard back from the Phase 1 externship, should I apply for the Phase 2 externships and clinics?

Yes. If you are selected for a Phase 1 externship, we will need to withdraw any other applications you have submitted. Remember, once you accept a job offer (verbal or written) you are obligated to fulfill that commitment so ONLY apply to those opportunities you want.

How many externship and clinic opportunities can I apply to?

You can apply to as many opportunities as you are interested in. Please make sure you are willing to work in ANY opportunity you apply to.

Do I have to interview?

This is entirely dependent on the organization(s) you apply to. Some clinics and externship placements require interviews and background checks. Other organizations will make selections off resumes only. If you do need to interview, the organization will contact you directly to set up a time.

Can I decline an externship [job] offer that I have already accepted?

NO. Once you accept an externship [job] offer (verbal or written), you are obligated to fulfill that commitment.

Registration Process and Other Administrative Issues

How do I register in the Externship Program?

Externship Registration Process – 12Twenty (Complete your Secured Placement Application)

  1. Access your 12Twenty account,
  2. From your student profile page, select Experiential Learning in the menu to the left,
  3. Then click New Experience at the top right,
  4. Once you click New Experience, you will be taken to Create New Experience. Please make sure you read the notice at the top of the page. When done, fill out/complete the remainder of the registration,
  5. When you click Save, it will take you to a preview of your registration. This is the last time you can make any edits before you submit your registration for approval. If all the information is correct, click Submit.

Special Note:

  • Under the Basics section, select Experiential Learning Type, and then click Externship. Continue to fill out the required information.
  • Under the Basics section, select Pro Bono/Community Service Organization (*Select N/A if Exp. Learning), click N/A.
  • Under the Other section, you will need to click Yes for “Did you attend the Mandatory Externship Orientation Meeting? If not, DO NOT CONTINUE!” in order to complete the registration. Once you click Yes, you will be able to fill out/complete the remainder of the form and submit your registration for approval. When done, click Save.

What if I don’t know who my field supervisor is before applications are due?

Students must provide complete contact information (name, title, email address, and phone number) for either their field supervisor or the relevant human resources contact at the proposed field placement when applying to the Externship Program. Upon learning who your field supervisor is, you must promptly update the contact on your Experiential Learning Secured Placement Contract via Symplicity during Add/Drop week.

Do I need to submit the Private Firm Certification form?

Students seeking an externship with a private law firm/attorney must receive approval BEFORE registering for the Externship Program. The Private Firm/For-Profit Certification Forms (found on the Forms page) must be submitted to the Office of Experiential Learning at least 14 business days before the first day of class in the semester the externship is requested.

I registered my externship on 12Twenty but the class hasn’t been added to my schedule?

The Office of Experiential Learning (OEL) will start to review externship registrations submitted to AJMLS 12Twenty in alignment with the impending semester registration dates. After your registration is approved by OEL, your externship supervising attorney will be asked to review and approve your Secured Placement Application and to sign and return the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).

After your registration is verified by the employer and your MOU is received, your Secured Placement Application will be forwarded to the Law School Registrar, Ms. Ferebee, who will then review your credentials (i.e., cumulative GPA, class level, and semester credit limits) to determine if you are academically eligible to participate in the externship course.

  • If there are no issues, the Registrar will add the externship class to your course schedule for the semester.
  • If there are any issues, you will be notified by email and need to respond promptly.

Please note, the externship review process may take up to three weeks or longer depending upon how quickly information is received from your externship supervisor.

What is the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)?

The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is a three-way agreement between the field placement supervisor, the law student, and the faculty supervisor to ensure that everyone is on the same page and understands their roles and responsibilities. The MOU must be signed by the field placement supervisor and the law student before the student’s externship registration can be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Fully executed MOUs may be submitted via email to, faxed to (404) 873-3802, or hand delivered to Dr. Wyatt-Keyton in the Office of Experiential Learning.

Externship Seminars

Will I have any responsibilities outside of my externship?

Yes, there is a mandatory classroom component in conjunction with your work experience. Students are required to participate in the online course on TWEN. Students must complete all reading assignments and submit journal entries on topics related to the practice of law. Students are also encouraged to use the discussion boards on TWEN to share experiences with the rest of the class. Students must also submit weekly timesheets and midterm/final evaluations.

Field Placements

What qualifies as an externship field placement?

Requirements for field placements include the following:

  • The field placement must be in a judicial internship or a position with a governmental agency, corporate legal department, or a legal non-profit agency;
  • The field placement must meet the educational goals of the Externship Program;
  • The student must be supervised by a judge or a licensed attorney;
  • The position must be unpaid

The student must be physically present in the legal office and in the same location as the attorney supervisor.

Can I extern at a law firm?

Placements with private firms or attorneys are approved on a limited basis. For-profit law firms will be approved only if the student is assigned exclusively to pro bono matters. Pro bono matters are those falling under fee-shifting statutes for which the client is not charged anything up front (except a minimal amount toward costs). This includes contingency fee cases. Firms may not charge for the students’ time. All students externing with a for-profit law firm must speak to a member of the Externship Program staff prior to obtaining approval.

Are there a maximum number of externship credits I can count toward the completion of my degree?

Students may earn a total of nine (9) hours in externship credits toward their J.D. Students must earn a minimum of two and no more than six credit hours in a semester.

Can I count hours/week worked at my field before the start of the semester (or summer session)?

Students can begin working toward their hours/weeks requirements from the first day of regular, semester-long classes (or the first day of the summer session). Students must complete their hours/weeks requirements by the last day of classes.

How many credits am I eligible to receive from an externship?

Students in the program must earn a minimum of two and no more than six credit hours per semester. That translates into a minimum of 94 hours a semester or approximately 6.7 hours a week to a maximum of 282 hours or 20 hours a week in a 14-week semester. Summer students can work beyond the 10 week class schedule. Students are required to track hours weekly of times they work at their externship site with a description of the kind of projects they are engaged in. This requirement encourages students to get in the habit of tracking their hours and to think about how they are allocating their time. The supervising attorney will verify students’ hours at the time of the midterm and final evaluations. NOTE: Students may earn up to nine (9) hours in externship credits towards their J.D. Externship hours do not count toward your total pass/fail allotment. (Please see §707 of the Academic Code for more details).

How many hours do I have to work each week on-site?

Hours must be completed during the semester that the student is participating in the externship seminar. To optimize the experience, extern students must work on-site and may not work remotely.

CreditsField Placement Hours Per SemesterFall/Spring Hours Per WeekSummer Hours Per Week


  • During holiday weeks, externs do not have to make up the hours missed at their site. Please also remember that excusable holidays are determined by the sponsoring agency, not by Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School.
  • You may not front-load your hours. For example, you may not work all of your required externship hours during the first six weeks of the fall/spring semester and take the rest of the time off.
  • Externs may work through the last day of final exams for the semester.

Can I work more than the required hours per week (i.e. more than 6 or 20 hours)?

To earn academic credit for the fieldwork experience, students must work at least 6 hours per week for 2-credit field placements or at least 20 hours per week for 6-credit field placements. Students may work additional hours beyond the minimum number of hours required by the Externship Program, but no additional academic credit will be granted.
Additionally, students whose total hours worked exceed the Externship Program’s requirements may be eligible to apply the additional hours worked to their Pro Bono hours. Students may submit Pro Bono hours online via 12Twenty.

Can I do an externship/clinic and law clerk position in the same semester?

No. You can only participate in one position (externship, clinic, or paid/volunteer position) at a time.

My field placement requires a security clearance and/or background check. What do I do?

Students must be fully eligible to start work at their field placement (i.e., security clearance and/or background checks complete) by the day before Add/Drop ends or they will be dropped from the Externship Program and companion seminar.

My field placement requires that I submit a Volunteer Service Agreement, certifying my student status. What do I do?

Please submit the Student Volunteer Service Agreement to the Office of Experiential Learning (OEL), either in person or by email to Dr. Jae Wyatt-Keyton at Please allow 1-2 business days for processing.

Other Questions

Do I need a Student Practice Certificate?

Only students accepting placements that will involve litigation (i.e., Prosecutor, Solicitor, or Public Defenders Offices) are required to have a Student Practice Certificate. To be eligible under Georgia’s Student Practice Act, a student must be regularly enrolled, have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average, and have satisfactorily completed at least 30 credits of the requirements for a J.D. Please visit the Registration under the Student Practice Act FAQ page and contact Associate Dean Walker-Cash ( if you have additional questions.

May I use my Lexis and Westlaw passwords to perform research for the benefit of the externship?

No. Students are not allowed to use their Westlaw or Lexis accounts to conduct research for their externship.

Can I still do an externship even if I’ve missed the Externship Registration deadline?

If you are interested in doing an externship, you must inform the Externship Office by the semester Add/Drop Deadline. Specific dates for these deadlines will be listed under the Announcements section of Symplicity. Please note that even though deadlines for externships are in place, it is best to apply as soon as possible. Your choices in externship placements decrease significantly if do not begin the application process early. Please be aware that many externship placements have their own internal deadline.

Unanswered Questions?

Contact Dr. Jae Wyatt-Keyton at with externship job postings questions or clinical experience questions.

Financial Aid

General Information

How much financial aid is available to law students?

It depends on the Cost of Attendance, which is comprised of the 9-month living expense budget plus tuition and fees for the fall and spring semesters. Summer semester cost of attendance consists of a 3-month living expense budget plus tuition and fees.

Does Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School (AJMLS) offer scholarships or grants?

Yes, scholarships, but no grants. Scholarship allocation amounts depend on your LSAT score, grade point average (GPA), and the criterion set forth by the Office of Admissions. For admitted students, our scholarships do not require an application. However, if you do not meet the established criterion established by the Admissions Office, there are no federal or state grants available to law students at AJMLS. Though the school only offers a limited number of scholarships, there are other organizations that offer scholarships to law students.

Do AJMLS scholarship awards renew on an annual basis?

Yes. Scholarship recipients must maintain a certain GPA to retain certain scholarships. The specific GPA for each scholarship is communicated at the time of admission in the acceptance letter. Please visit our website to review the criteria for institutional scholarship retention here. If the retention requirements are not met at the conclusion of any academic semester, the scholarship is lost and will not be reinstated at any time during the remainder of your enrollment in law school.

Are non-Federal loan funds considered financial aid?

Yes. The term financial aid includes all funds provided to a student for educational purposes – educational loans (federal and private), need or merit-based scholarships, and merit-based fellowships.

Can I request to receive loan funds greater than the cost of attendance?

Unfortunately, federal guidelines restrict students’ ability to receive more than the cost of attendance established by the Law School. However, AJMLS will review students’ requests for an increase to the budget for childcare expenses, certain vehicle repairs, medical and dental not covered by insurance and certain mitigating circumstances. Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid before making such a request.

Do I need to make an appointment to discuss my questions with the Financial Aid Office?

No. The Financial Aid office takes walk-ins on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. Students may also schedule appointments. Please feel free to stop by during business hours or contact us at

FAFSA and Federal Aid

Should I pay for assistance to fill out my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

No; this application process is free of charge. When completing FAFSA on the web at, you get online instructions for each question, and you can chat live online with a customer service representative. Another source of free help is the online guide, completing the FAFSA.

Whether you apply online or use the paper FAFSA, you can get free help by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at the telephone number(s) listed below or by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC):
1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)
(TTY 1-800-730-8913)

Various websites do offer help filing the FAFSA for a fee. These sites are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, the U.S. Department of Education. We urge you not to pay these sites for assistance that we and the Department of Education provide for free. Our school only accesses student aid reports (SARs) from the FAFSAs completed at

What is the FSA ID?

The FSA ID- a username and password- has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education Websites. The FSA ID is your legal signature and shouldn’t be created or used by anyone other than you—not even your parent, your child, a school official, or a loan company representative. You’ll use your FSA ID every year you fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form and for the lifetime of your federal student loans.

Why do I need an FSA ID?

Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign your FAFSA and other Federal Student Aid documents. Your FSA ID will need to be used when accessing the following Federal Aid websites:

  • FAFSA on the Web at Used to complete or edit your FAFSA.
  • The National Student Loan Data System website at Accessed to view a history of the federal student financial aid you have received.
  • Gov at Used to electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and complete student loan Entrance and Exit Counseling for your Direct Loans.

How do I create an FSA ID?

  • When logging in to one of the websites listed above, click the link to create an FSA ID.
  • Visit to create an FSA ID
  • Create a username and password, and enter your e-mail address.
  • Enter your name, date of birth, Social Security Number, contact information, and select your challenge questions and enter the answers.
  • If you have a Federal Student Aid PIN, you will be able to enter it and link it to your FSA ID. You can still create an FSA ID if you have forgotten or do not have a PIN.
  • Review your information, and read and accept the terms and conditions.
  • Confirm your e-mail address using the secure code, which will be sent to the e-mail address you entered when you created your FSA ID. Once you verify your e-mail address, you can use it instead of your username to log in to the websites.
  • We strongly recommend that you provide a mobile phone number and email address when you make your FSA ID. Providing a mobile phone number and/or email address that you have access to will make it easier to unlock your account, retrieve your forgotten username, or reset your forgotten password. Important: An email address and mobile phone number cannot be used with more than one FSA ID. If you share an email address with someone else, then only one of you will be able to use that email address to create an FSA ID. This applies to your mobile phone number too.

You can use your FSA ID to sign a FAFSA right away. Once the Social Security Administration verifies your information in one to three days, or if you have linked your PIN to your FSA ID, you will be able to use your FSA ID to access the websites listed above. For help, visit
**Important: Only the owner of the FSA ID should create and use the account. Never share your FSA ID.

How can I check the status of my FAFSA application?

You can check the status of your FAFSA immediately after submitting it online at You can check the status of a paper FAFSA after it has been processed (roughly 7-10 days from the date mailed).

What is the Data Release Number (DRN)?

A DRN is required to make certain changes associated with the FAFSA you filed. You can make corrections to your mailing address and/or to the schools you listed to receive your FAFSA data. Just call the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Information Center (1-800-4-FED-AID [1-800-433-3243]). The DRN also allows you to release your FAFSA data to schools you did not list on your original FAFSA. The DRN is printed in the lower left-hand corner of your Student Aid Report (SAR).

Can I add a school code to my FAFSA application?

Yes. You may either make the correction online at with your FSA ID, over the phone (1-800-4-FED-AID) if you have your DRN number (see above), or you can fax the request (1-877-264-9664). Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School’s code is G31733.

Have you received my FAFSA?

AJMLS will download FAFSA applications starting in May of each academic year. Confirming that AJMLS is listed as one of your institutions on your FAFSA application once your application is processed by the federal processor assures you that AJMLS has the results of your FAFSA application referred to as your Student Aid Report (SAR).

Do you require that I submit parental information on the FAFSA?

No. Graduate students are automatically considered independent for purposes of receiving federal financial aid. Therefore, you do not need to complete the parent information section of the FAFSA.

My taxes will not be completed prior to your deadline. Is it OK to use estimates when completing the FAFSA?

If you have NOT filed taxes by the deadline, you may select “will file” in the tax information section of the FAFSA. You will need to update your FAFSA once you actually file your tax return. If you are offered and accept admission to AJMLS, then we will notify you if we need any additional forms or documents. Please note that a hold will be placed on your financial aid disbursement until your tax returns are filed and your FAFSA has been updated.

I am an international student. Do I need to submit a FAFSA?

A student must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen in order to receive federal financial aid. Students who do not fall into either category are not eligible for federal financial aid and thus do not need to complete the FAFSA. For information on federal eligibility, you may refer to at to review the eligibility requirements for non U.S. citizens.

How can I check the payment status of all my student loans?

You should contact the servicer of your loan. If you don’t know who your servicer is, you can use the website or to find out about your federal student loans. The site displays information on loan and/or federal grant amounts, outstanding balances, loan statuses – and disbursements. To access either of these websites, you will need to log in using your FSA ID and password.

How do I defer repayment of the loans I received prior to attending AJMLS?

The Registrar’s Office reports student enrollment data to the National Student Clearinghouse on a monthly basis. The Clearinghouse will provide the data to the National Student Loan Database System. Lenders and servicers who use the Clearinghouse will put your loans in an in-school deferment status. If your servicer requires a paper deferment form, please submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.

I have questions about my financial aid award. Who should I contact?

Contact the Office of Financial Aid at AJMLS. The financial aid administrators combine various forms of aid into a package to help meet a student’s needs. Using available resources to give each student the best possible package of aid is one of the aid administrator’s major responsibilities. Also, the amount of federal student aid in a financial aid package is affected by other sources of aid received (institutional scholarships, external scholarships, fellowships, etc.).

How long does it take to apply for financial aid?

The process is fast and easy. The FAFSA can be completed online within 15 to 30 minutes. AJMLS will receive access to your FAFSA application within 3 to 5 business days after you submit it electronically to the Department of Education. If you receive any requests for additional documents from the Financial Aid Office, the award process at the school may be delayed based on your response time. Please adhere to the following deadlines dates to ensure timely processing:

  • July 1st Deadline to complete FAFSA at
  • July 1st Earliest you can apply for a Graduate Plus Loan at
  • July 1st Deadline to complete Entrance Loan Counseling at
  • July 1st Deadline to complete Master Promissory Note(s) for Unsubsidized and/or Graduate PLUS Loans at

Do I need to apply for financial aid and complete a new FAFSA every year?

Yes. You will need to complete the FAFSA annually at

What is the annual Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan limit for graduate students?

All law students who submit a FAFSA and meet eligibility requirements are entitled to receive an annual allocation of $20,500 in a Direct Unsubsidized Loan regardless of their assets or income.

What is the aggregate lifetime limit in Federal Direct Stafford loans with Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans combined for the graduate students?

The U.S. Department of Education permits all eligible recipients to receive a lifetime amount of $138,500 in Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Loans combined, including any undergraduate and graduate loans received. However, no more than $65,500 can come from the Direct Subsidized loan.

What if I have exhausted my annual Federal Direct Stafford Loan eligibility and I still have not reached the Cost of Attendance? How do I secure additional loans?

You may borrow a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan. This loan does have a credit review requirement. You can read more about the Graduate PLUS loan for graduate and professional students at

How soon after my loan has been disbursed to the law school can I expect to receive my cost of living refund?

Generally, each semester, cost of living refunds are disbursed via direct deposit 10 business days after classes have begun.

What happens if I change my enrollment status at any point in the semester?

Enrollment status affects all types of financial assistance. Dropping classes after the semester has begun could have an impact on the eligibility for any loan. Once a cost of living refund has been issued to a student and then courses are dropped, that could create an over award and a required return of federal funds that have been disbursed.

Please be sure to contact the Office of Financial Aid, if you are an aid recipient and are considering a change to your enrollment. Adding or dropping courses creates an additional bill after funds have already been disbursed based on the prior enrollment.

What should I do if I withdraw or take a leave of absence after receiving federal student loan funds?

Depending on the timing of your withdrawal or leave of absence, a portion of your loan funds may have to be returned to the lender, including any cost of living refund amount you may have received. These are federal regulations that control the Return of Title IV Funds. These situations are individualized, and it is important to contact all offices that need to be involved. The Associate Dean of Academic Programs, The Associate Dean of Academic Administration, the Registrar’s Office, and the Office of Financial Aid, will advise you appropriately regarding any and all repercussions of a withdrawal. Leaves of absence (LOA) may be granted by the Associate Deans of Academics for good cause shown. Such leaves, which carry with them the right to return to the School of Law as a student in good standing, will generally be granted for a period of one semester, but in no case will such a leave exceed one year in length. Requests for such a leave must be made in writing to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and the Associate Dean of Academic Administration and will be acted upon promptly.

What aid is available for summer attendance?

Typically students have exhausted their unsubsidized loan cap amount prior to the summer semester, so the Graduate PLUS Loan is the only loan type typically available. Some students may have remaining scholarship eligibility.

Transfer Students

When I completed the FAFSA I did not include AJMLS’s school code. How do I get my data to your Law School?

You will need to update your FAFSA online by making a correction to your FAFSA at and adding AJMLS’s federal school code: G31733 to your FAFSA.

Does AJMLS require a hard copy of my financial aid transcript?

No. You will cancel eligibility for loans, scholarships, and grants at your former law school and begin the entire financial aid process at AJMLS.

Should I notify the Office of Financial Aid at my current school or will the Dean tell him/her/them I have transferred?

You must notify all appropriate offices at the school you will transfer from that you will be transferring out. After you have been admitted to AJMLS, contact the Dean of Students, the Registrar’s Office and the Office of Financial Aid. These administrators play a significant role to finalize necessary separation paperwork from both law schools and your loan servicers.

My loan funds have already been disbursed to my current law school. Can’t the financial aid office just mail them to AJMLS?

No. Loan Servicers disburse funds to individual schools on behalf of a student. If a student withdraws from the law school or transfers to a different law school, the disbursed funds must be returned to the lender/loan servicer, and the student is required to reapply for the loan through the financial aid office at the new school.

Will I keep the same interest rate on my educational loans when I change schools?

Yes. The interest rate on federal loans is the same regardless of the school you attend.

How do I defer repayment of the loans I received during my first year of law school?

The Registrar’s Office reports student enrollment information to the National Student Clearinghouse every semester. Once your enrollment has been reported to them, your enrollment data is also received by loan servicers who will, in turn, place your previous loans in in-school deferment status, as long remain enrolled at least part-time, until you graduate from law school.

I received a Federal Perkins Loan when I was an undergraduate. How do I go about getting that loan deferred if I have not paid it in full yet?

If you ever received a Federal Perkins loan, you should speak with your previous institution’s financial aid administrator about deferring repayment on a Perkins Loan.

If my loans are in repayment now, how soon can I request enrollment verification in order to postpone going into repayment?

After the add/drop period has expired, AJMLS’s Registrar’s Office reports student enrollment information to the National Student Clearinghouse. Once your enrollment has been reported to them, your enrollment data is also received by loan servicers who will in turn place your previous loans in an in-school deferment status, which will postpone your current loan repayments. You may also follow up with the Registrar’s office at AJMLS at

Information Technology

The Office of Information Technology is committed to offering technical services and assistance to all students, faculty, and staff at the law school. From day-to-day needs to help with exam software, the IT department is available and equipped to handle any technology need. Students who have any questions pertaining to the Office of Information Technology are welcome to submit an IT ticket to or print a downloadable copy of the Office of Information Technology Frequently Asked Questions.

How do I access AJMLS exam software?

The AJMLS exam software is located on the school’s website. Click here.

How do I access my AJMLS email?

You can access your AJMLS email by clicking on “Webmail” found on the home page of the school’s website. Enter your full email address for username, i.e. Once you sign in, you can access your email account.

What do I do if I am not assigned an AJMLS email?

All AJMLS email accounts are created after you have paid your initial deposit. Account information is sent to you along with other admissions-related information by the AJMLS Admissions Department. If you have not received an AJMLS email account, please contact Admissions and/or the Office of the Registrar to verify your status.

Do you offer personal computer/software repairs? If so, at what cost?

Our department does not offer computer hardware or software repairs for legal reasons (e.g. voiding hardware warranties, etc.). We only troubleshoot software issues and make recommendations without uninstalling software. We recommend that a student purchase, at a minimum, a three-year warranty with their new computers.

Who do I contact if I am unable to access the AJMLS wireless internet?

To can contact the IT department, you can email the department or complete an online support form. For the quickest response, the best way to contact the IT department is to email the department at To access the request form on the school’s website, enter the “Technology” page and click on “IT Support Form.”

Who do I contact if I am unable to download the exam software?

For the quickest response, the best way to contact the IT Department is to email the department at or you can call ExamSoft 966-429-8889.

Do you sell software?

No, the IT Department does not sell software.

What is the turn-around time on IT support requests?

Generally, the turn-around time on IT support requests is 24-48 hours from the time a request is submitted. Turnaround time depends on the complexity of the request.

What software system(s) do you recommend my laptop have to ensure I am compatible with the AJMLS network?

A list of recommended software is available on the school’s website. To access this list, go to the Recommended Software page.

As a new student, what types of accounts will I automatically be set up for? What are the main accounts I will need to manage as a law student at AJMLS?

Primary accounts that are issued by the school to students include the following:

  • NetID – This is Windows Active Directory domain account that grants access to campus wireless network, shared network drives, office and lab computers, print services, and other web resources (career services job search, student evaluations, etc.).
  • Google Apps – This is the campus email service for students, faculty, and staff.
  • CampusAnyware – Online Registration & Student Information Services. Your userID for CampusAnyware is your studentID or your SSN, and your PIN is your date of birth initially in this format (mmddyyyy). You will be prompted to change it when you log in the first time.

While the NetID and Google Apps accounts have the same username, they are separate. If you change the password on one account, the other doesn’t automatically change.

Pro Bono Programs

What is the Pro Bono Program?

In keeping with the Law School’s commitment to preparing lawyers with strong social consciences, the Office strongly encourages students to deliver law-related services to community members of limited financial means. The goals of the Pro Bono Program are to provide needed services to the community, instill in students a sense of professional responsibility, help students with practical experiences, and build a positive identity that strengthens the Law School’s community ties. The Office regularly sends out information about pro bono opportunities in the metro-Atlanta area. If you are interested in getting legal experience and giving back, we strongly encourage you to volunteer for one or more of these opportunities.

Are students required to participate in the Pro Bono Program?

No; however, first-year students are required to complete at least four hours of community service by the end of their first year. After the first year, pro bono and community service are encouraged, but not mandatory.

Where do I find pro bono opportunities?

While students are welcome to find appropriate pro bono placements on their own, the Office of Experiential Learning and Pro Bono Programs assists students with finding qualifying pro bono placements in private and nonprofit law firms, legal aid groups, and other organizations. Announcements are regularly sent about pro bono opportunities and the steps that need to be taken to volunteer.

Can I volunteer at an organization or firm that is not listed as an approved placement?

Yes. The Office of Experiential Learning and Pro Bono Programs works with many different organizations to offer pro bono opportunities to students; however, students are encouraged to find volunteer opportunities that match their interests.

What qualifies for Pro Bono Credit?

To receive pro bono credit for service performed, the service must meet the following requirements:

  1. It must be law related. The service must be law-related.
  2. It must be uncompensated. The service must be performed in a volunteer capacity and the student may not receive any compensation for providing the service. Compensation is broadly defined and includes stipends, academic credit, or fulfillment of academic or clinical requirements.
  3. Must serve eligible clients. The service must be provided to people of limited financial means or charitable or not-for-profit organizations in matters that are designed primarily to address the needs of persons of limited financial means.
  4. There must be an oversight. The services must be supervised by an attorney, law school faculty or staff member, or other licensed professional, and the student must receive training from one of these parties.

How do I submit my pro bono hours?

Log into Symplicity and go to your “My Account” page. Once you are on that page, select the “Pro Bono” tab. In the lower-left corner of the “Pro Bono” window is a button labeled “Add New”. Click on the button to bring up the form for creating a new record. You should create one record to record all hours that you worked with a single organization over the course of the semester. Categorize the work performed by selecting “Pro Bono,” “Community Service,” or “Public Interest”. The specific fields related to the category selected will appear.

Once you have created a record of your work with a specific organization, you can later add additional hours to the record for the organization. To do so, log into Symplicity and navigate to your “My Account” page. Once you are on that page, select the “Pro Bono” tab. Open an existing record by clicking the “Edit” button to the left of the record’s name. Click the “Add Hours” button (near the middle of the form). A new table will appear with a line for the current day. Students should enter their hours regularly over the course of the semester.

If you report all your hours at the end of the semester, then you may enter them under a single date. Be sure to click “Submit” after creating a new record or adding hours to an existing record. Once you hit “Submit” the screen will stay the same and you will not receive a confirmation page; however, once you follow all of the steps above, your submission will be received by the Office of Experiential Learning and Pro Bono Programs.

All records must be submitted by the conclusion of the semester in which the pro bono hours were earned. Hours that are not recorded in the semester in which they are earned will not be counted or considered when selecting recipients for pro bono awards. You are encouraged to submit your hours as you complete them.

When submitting hours, be sure to fill out the form in its entirety or the system will not allow the submission to be approved. The information that should be submitted includes but is not limited to, the date the hours were performed, where they were performed, the number of hours performed, a brief description of the work, a brief statement describing the impact of the work, and the name and phone number of someone we may call to verify the hours.

Can I receive pro bono credit for work done for an externship?

You may not receive pro bono credit for work for which you received academic credit. Pro bono credits may be available for students who exceed the number of work hours required to complete an externship. For those hours to qualify for pro bono credit, they must meet the eligibility requirements listed on the previous page.

How many hours are required for pro bono recognition?

Students who complete a minimum of 50 hours of pro bono service will be inducted into the Pro Bono Honor Society. Students who complete at least 75 hours of pro bono service will graduate with pro bono distinction.

Does the Law School issue awards for pro bono service?

Graduating students will receive the “Excellence in Pro Bono Service” award if they are in the top 10% of the class for total pro bono hours earned while in law school. The graduate whose pro bono service has the greatest impact on the community will be awarded the “Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears Pro Bono Award”. Students who wish to be considered for this award must submit a statement of interest to the Office of Experiential Learning and Pro Bono Programs by the last day of classes for the spring semester in which they wish to be considered.

Is non-legal volunteer work considered when selecting recipients for the pro bono awards?

No. Only pro bono work will be considered when selecting recipients for these awards.

Why should I perform pro bono work?

Through providing pro bono services students develop legal and professional skills, gain practical, hands-on experience in real work environments and explore their ethical responsibility to provide pro bono service.

What if I have more questions?

Please contact the Office of Experiential Learning and Pro Bono Programs.

Street Law Program

What is the Street Law Program?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School has partnered with the Northern District of Georgia’s United States Attorney’s Office to host a Street Law Program at local high schools. Street Law teaches practical law to laypersons using interactive teaching methodologies. It empowers youth to use their knowledge to solve problems, better their communities, and become active and knowledgeable participants in society. Students who are interested in volunteering with the program should contact the Office of Experiential Learning and Pro Bono Programs.

How can I get involved in the Street Law Program?

The program is held during the spring semester of each academic year. At the end of the fall semester, an email will be sent inviting students to participate in a Street Law orientation. During the program, students will be given information about the start date, registration, the curriculum, and the Street Law schedule and will hear remarks from various speakers on their past and present involvement in the program.

Do Street Law volunteers receive pro bono credit?

Participation in this program does qualify for pro bono credit.


How do I view my schedule?

Click on myAJMLS; at the Online Registration & Student Information Services menu, Click on Schedule. Log on using your social security number OR student ID number and PIN.

How do I register for classes?

For the first two semesters, first-year students will be pre-registered by the Registrar. After the first year, you will register for electives via the student portal. The Registrar will place you in the required classes. Click on myAJMLS; at the Online Registration & Student Information Services menu, Click on Registration. Log on using your social security number OR student ID number; and PIN. Students may register for electives after completing a full year of study.

How can I find out if the class is open or closed?

Click on myAJMLS; at the Online Registration & Student Information Services menu, Click on Course Offerings, Choose Term, Choose Department (Day or Evening section, or both).

What is the last day to add or drop a course?

Normally, the last day to add or drop a course is the Friday of the first week of courses.

When is tuition due?

Tuition is due no later than the Friday of the first week of classes.

How can I audit a course?

Students are not allowed to audit courses.

When do I submit a Student Action Request Form (SAR) to the Registrar’s Office?

You will submit a SAR form during registration to be added to the waitlist for a closed course or to add a course that does not allow online registration. The SAR form may also be used to make personal information changes, request a leave of absence, withdraw enrollment, or notify the Law School of intent to transfer.

You must also submit a SAR form (signed by the instructor) to register for Mock Trial Competitions and Directed Research/Independent Study for credit.

Where can I find my student ID number?

Click on myAJMLS; at the Online Registration & Student Information Services menu, Click on Transcript. Log on using your social security number and PIN. Your student ID number is printed next to your name.

What is the maximum number of hours I may take in one semester?

Students in the full-time program may register for up to 16 credit hours during the Fall and Spring semesters. Students in the part-time program may register for a maximum of 11 credit hours. Students are allowed to take up to 6 credit hours in the Summer. Exceptions to this maximum must be approved by the Associate Dean of Academic Programs.

What courses should I complete to satisfy my degree requirements?

Refer to the curriculum that matches your entry year and program on the Master Curriculum page.

Whom do I contact about study abroad?

Contact the Associate Dean of Academic Programs.

How do I earn credit for an Externship?

Contact the Office of Career Services and Professional Development.

Where do I get an Anonymous Grade Number (AGN)?

You will receive an anonymous grade number from the IT department via email at the beginning of every semester. Anonymous grade numbers are used when you submit assignments, papers, and final examination answers.

Where would I find the course schedule, final examination schedule, book lists, and syllabi?

The course schedule, final examination schedule, book lists, and syllabi are located here.

When will I receive my class rank?

The class rankings will be updated on the following days throughout the year: January 30, March 30, June 30, and September 30. First-year students must complete a full year at the law school before receiving a class rank (fall AND spring semester for full-time students; fall, spring AND summer semesters for part-time students).

How do I get an unofficial copy of my academic transcript?

Click on myAJMLS; at the Online Registration & Student Information Services menu, Click on Transcript. Log on using your social security number OR student ID number and PIN.

How do I request an official copy of my academic transcript?

Complete a SAR form. There’s a $5.00 transcript processing fee for each copy.

How do I obtain a letter of good standing?

Contact the Associate Dean of Academic Administration.

As a transfer student, whom do I contact for a transfer credit evaluation?

Contact the Associate Dean of Academic Programs.

Whom do I contact for academic counseling or advising?

Contact the Associate Dean of Academic Programs.

How do I submit payment for a transcript request?

Credit Card Authorization – One Time Only; There’s a $5.00 charge for each copy. No charge for transcripts sent to any Office of Bar Admissions.

Student Accounts (Previously Bursar)

Where is the Office of Student Accounts located?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, 245 Peachtree Center Ave. NE, Suite 1900, Atlanta, GA 30303. The Office of Student Accounts is open Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.

What is a student account?

Your student account is a centralized billing and payment system that includes charges such as tuition and fees, parking fees, textbooks, lockers, and other campus charges. Students may access their student account through the myAJMLS portal.

When are the payment deadlines on my student account?

Tuition is due at registration and no later than the end of the drop/add period. Any student having an outstanding balance owing from previous semesters will not be permitted to register for the next semester. Exceptions to this payment policy are made for students who have been approved for:

  • Participation in the Tuition Installment Payment Program (TIPP)
  • Students who have been approved for a federal student loan or awaiting VA Educational Benefits

The Law School will not release a financial hold or a student’s official transcript for any purpose unless the student is current in his or her financial obligations to the school.

How much are tuition and fees?

Please refer to the Tuition & Expenses page.

How is my Financial Aid disbursed to me?

In general, financial aid, whether a loan or scholarship is first applied to your unpaid student account balance. Refunds are made by direct deposit into your bank account. It is a requirement of the school that each student have either a checking or savings account into which refunds can be deposited. Please complete the Direct Deposit Authorization form located on the AJMLS Forms page. Students may view their financial aid award and student account through the myAJMLS portal.

What is Direct Deposit?

Direct Deposit refers to the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). This is where a deposit is made directly from one bank account to another bank account electronically. Students are required to have their student account overpayments and financial aid disbursements deposited directly into their checking or savings account. In order to receive your financial aid refund you will need to set up your bank account information in student accounts. The Direct Deposit Authorization form is located under the “Downloadable Forms” tab. All refunds will be deposited to this bank account. It is the student’s responsibility to update their bank account information in a timely manner. Please note that these updates should be made 30 days prior to any anticipated refunds. Should you find yourself needing to update your bank information less than 30 days from the time of disbursement, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at (678) 916-2608.

When will my refund be processed?

Five to seven business days from the time a credit appears on your student account. Students may view their financial aid award and student account through the myAJMLS portal.

How do I make changes to my banking information currently on file?

Please refer to the Direct Deposit Authorization form on the AJMLS Forms page. Complete and be sure to check “Account Change” and submit it to the Office of Student Accounts.

Can I use Financial Aid for expenses other than tuition and fees?

Yes. Financial aid is awarded to be used for education-related expenses, including various living expenses. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions page.

What if I withdraw or take a leave of absence?

If you receive your financial aid refund and subsequently decide not to attend Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, the funds must be returned to the law school immediately. Financial aid received through the law school cannot be used at another institution. If you fail to attend classes and you receive your financial aid refund, the funds must be returned to the Office of Student Accounts at: 245 Peachtree Center Ave. NE, Suite 1900, Atlanta, GA 30303.

Can I return my loan funds if I decide I do not want or need them anymore?

Yes. You can return these funds within 14 days of the disbursement date without penalty; however, we recommend that you complete the Student Loan Request at the beginning of each academic year (fall semester) indicating that you do not wish to receive any funds over the costs of tuition and fees. This form is located on the AJMLS Forms Page. Monies disbursed that a student would like to return should be returned to the school within the 14-day time frame so that the repayment can be processed by both Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School and the Direct Loan Servicer in a timely manner.

Are scholarships taxable?

Scholarships are taxable to the extent they exceed the calendar year cost of tuition and fees, books, and supplies. For complete details regarding this subject, please consult IRS tax filing instructions and/or a tax professional.

Student Affairs

What is the Office of Student Affairs?

The Office of Student Affairs (“the Office”) provides support for students and student organizations to maximize the quality of their experience at the Law School. Our Office is committed to empowering students to develop leadership, organizational, academic, and professional skills that will enhance their transition from the academic arena to the professional world. In keeping with that pledge, we provide counseling to help students reach their academic, personal, and professional goals. Our Office also addresses student concerns and welcomes suggestions for improvements.

The Office is staffed by the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and the Assistant Director of Student Affairs. The team also oversees all student groups, provide advisement to students and student organizations, develop and implements programs to enrich the learning experience, facilitates the ethical, intellectual, professional, and emotional development of students, creates community programming, mediates disputes among and within student groups, and represent the student’s perspective to the faculty and administration. The Associate Dean is also responsible for enforcing the Title IX policy and Honor Code.

Peer Mentoring Program

What is the Peer Mentoring Program?

The Peer Mentoring Program was created specifically for incoming students to help them navigate the first-year experience and engage with the AJMLS community. The goal of the program is to increase student retention, improve overall academic performance, provide an ongoing orientation to all aspects of law school, and foster academic and social integration. Each first-year student is assigned a mentor. Mentors undergo extensive training and are responsible for helping their mentees navigate through the everyday challenges of school and the community by drawing upon their personal knowledge and experiences.

What kind of assistance and support does a peer mentor provide?

Peer mentors provide academic and social support. Since mentors are upper-class students, they have already gone through the first year experience. They are very resourceful and can answer new students’ questions about wide-ranging issues running the gamut, from housing and the challenges of law school to extracurricular activities and preparing for classes.

If I have concerns about my peer mentor what should I do?

If you encounter a problem, please address this concern to the Associate Dean of Student Affairs at

Course Selection

If I need help choosing my courses, who should I contact?

The Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and the Associate Dean of Student Affairs are available to offer academic counseling and assist you with mapping your law career. You can view the Master Curriculum List here.


What is the Professionalism Series?

The Professionalism Series is coordinated by the Office and Student Affairs and the purpose of this Series is to help students establish good practices and high ethical standards early in their training. It is also an opportunity for students to meet practitioners and members of the judiciary who exude the highest standards of professionalism and ethics. Participation in the programs in the Series is mandatory for all full-time, first-year students; however, we welcome participation by all students. The Series has featured prominent members of the legal community, including Judge Nahmias of the Georgia Supreme Court, Judge John Ellington, Chief Judge of the Georgia Court of Appeals, Linda Klein, President of the State Bar of Georgia, Judge Herbert Phipps, Former Chief Judge of the Georgia Court of Appeals, Patrise Perkins Hooker, Former President of the State Bar of Georgia, and Attorney Paula Frederick, General Counsel for the State Bar of Georgia.

The Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism and the Office of Student Affairs and Career Development Offices have partnered to design a pilot program on professionalism for second-year law students. During the school year, second-year students will attend mandatory sessions devoted to sharpening soft and hard skills, promoting the importance of professionalism, and educating students on the ethical and professional standards to which law students and lawyers must adhere. Students are provided with insight into the professional expectations and standards for navigating a job search and exhibiting professional behavior in a professional environment. The program for second year students is designed to provide training beyond that of the first year of law school and equip second-year students with practical tools for navigating job searches, internships, externships, and the bar application process.

What are the consequences of missing a program in the Professionalism Series?

Failure to attend mandatory programs may result in a letter being placed in your academic file. When students petition the Dean of one of the Associate Deans for variances, reinstatement, or other matters, their academic records will be reviewed before such decisions are made. Your academic record also will be reviewed by the Associate Deans when you apply for the Bar Exam. To be eligible to sit for the exam, you must be certified as fit to practice law. That determination hinges in large part on the information in your academic record. If you have an emergency that requires you to miss one of the professional programs, please contact the Dean of Students immediately.

Google Orgs

What resources are available through Google?

Google is a web service offered to students and student organizations. Google offers an online community management system that centralizes campus involvement. The web-based platform streamlines communication and helps to build a stronger campus community. Google enables AJMLS student organizations, The Office of Student Affairs, and other departments to communicate with students and staff, track student involvement, and manage campus organizations and programs.

All students are automatically registered for Google. If, for any reason, you are not registered on Google, please contact The Office of Student Affairs, or the Assistant Dean of Students to receive instructions.

Do student organizations use Google?

Newly formed organizations that are recognized by the Student Bar Association (SBA) and the Dean of Students can submit a request to have a page set up on Google. You must select an individual, preferably someone who is a member of your organization’s executive board, to serve as Administrator of the Google page that will be set up on your organization’s behalf. The Administrator is responsible for populating the Google page, sending messages out to the membership, and uploading files, photos, and videos of the organization’s events to the Google page. You can also select individuals to serve as Officers. Officers have fewer managerial responsibilities, but they can submit event request forms and other forms related to coordinating event logistics and organization general body meetings per the
the protocol established in the Student Organization Manual.

What are the requirements for student organizations administering a Google page?

Google is an extension of the AJMLS community; therefore it is imperative that our student leaders and general student body take every precaution to make sure information posted or saved on the AJMLS Community Page or the individual student organization or departmental portals reflect the high standards of professionalism and ethical conduct that are required of the students, faculty, and staff. The following policies apply to receiving and maintaining one’s profile or a student organization portal. Failure to adhere to these policies may result in termination of a student or student organization’s Google privileges.

  1. Only registered students, recognized student organizations, faculty, staff, and alumni are allowed to have a profile/account.
  2. Google is to be used for the sole purpose of communicating information regarding organizational and AJMLS community-wide meetings and events, current events in the news, and non controversial postings on organizations’ portals.
  3. The use of Google for promoting or advertising commercial goods or services, soliciting customers or inventors, selling and distributing goods or services is strictly prohibited.
  4. Individual student profiles/accounts must not be shared with non-students or outside entities.
  5. Links to resources outside of the AJMLS server must not violate the above policies and guidelines.
  6. Students and organizations should avoid posting materials that violate copyright law; distribute and create computer viruses; promote slander; convey images or written content that is blatantly sexual, lewd, intimidating, and/or vulgar in nature, or that would be offensive to viewers; promote the consumption of alcohol, drugs or the like; promote violence or hostility to individual students, student organizations or the AJMLS community as a whole; personally attack individuals, students, faculty, or departments of AJMLS; or contain legally, ethically or morally questionable

When populating your Google page, it is important that you adhere to all copyright laws. If you are unsure of original works or any material that may be protected by copyright please review the copyright laws and procedures by visiting the Copyright Office website at For any other questions regarding the positing of copyrighted material, students may contact Student Services or the Director of the Library.

Students are expected to use good judgment in the construction of their Google profiles/accounts. If questions regarding appropriate material remain after reading this policy, the Student Organization Manual, the Student Handbook and/or the Student Code of Responsibility, students are encouraged to contact the Dean of Students.

All conduct and/or materials that violate this policy or other referenced AJMLS policies may be subject to sanctions and disciplinary action.

Student Organizations

What is the SBA and what do they do?

SBA is the acronym for Student Bar Association. The SBA is the student government organization for the school. Each year, an executive board is elected by the student body. The purpose of the SBA is to share with the faculty, staff, and administration the student perspective. This includes representing the student body and its diverse issues and concerns in three categories – academics, service, and social development. The SBA sponsors speakers and forums to provide educational and networking opportunities to students and coordinates community service and social events for the student body.

How do I become a member of SBA?

All enrolled students are automatically members of the SBA. Please contact your SBA representatives to find out how you can get more involved.

How do I get involved with other student organizations?

The name and mission of each organization can be found here.

How many student organizations are on campus?

There are currently eleven student organizations on campus. These organizations represent various professional, academic, cultural, and recreational interests of the student body. The number of student organizations can fluctuate each year based on student interest. Some of the organizations that are currently active on campus include Black Law Students Association (BLSA), Criminal Law Society, Georgia Association of Women Lawyers (GAWL), Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) and Sports and Entertainment Law Society (SELS).

How do I start a student organization?

New student groups may apply to the SBA and the Dean of Students for recognition. Student organizations that are officially recognized by the law school are given access to an array of campus services, meeting spaces, and systems. There is a process to seek formal recognition. To apply for recognition, your group or organization must complete a “Student Group/Organization Initial Recognition Request Form.” This form is available on Google. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for the form. For a request for recognition to be approved, membership must be open to all AJMLS students. More information on this process can be found in the Student Organizations Manual. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for a copy of the manual.

How do I join a student organization?

You can join an organization by attending an organization’s general body meetings and complying with its individual membership requirements (e.g. paying dues, etc.) You may be informed about general body meetings by accessing the Master Calendar on Google Orgs, which will provide details pertaining to organization meetings and events.

Where can I find more information about each student organization?

The Office of Student Affairs sponsors a Student Organization Expo during New Student Orientation. The purpose of the Expo is to provide students with an opportunity to learn more about the school’s student organizations. For more information, you can also contact The Office of Student Affairs. Each student organization also has a webpage on Google that you may visit for additional information.

How do I reserve a room for my organization?

Organization leaders should have access to the Google Forms link which will allow organizations to request a room reservation. To access the room-reservation link, visit here.

Law Journal

What is the process for becoming a member of the Law Journal?

Full-time and part-time students must complete Torts, Contracts, Property, Civil Procedure, and Legal Writing and have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to apply to the Journal. Once a member of the John Marshall Law Journal, a student must maintain a GPA of 2.5. Prospective members are invited to join the Journal through a semi-annual write-on competition. Students will be asked to submit a memorandum based upon a topic of the Editorial Board’s choosing. Students will also be asked to complete Bluebook citation and citechecking exercises. Each submission is graded anonymously by members of the Journal. Those submissions that meet the criteria previously established by the Editorial Board will be invited to join the Journal.

Mock Trial and Moot Court

What is the process for becoming a member of a moot court or mock trial competition team?

First-year students are not eligible to compete on moot court or mock trial competition teams; however, students who are interested in learning more about try-outs and the eligibility requirements should contact Professor Malempati at Professor Malempati is the advisor to most AJMLS competition teams. Students who are interested in trying out for the BLSA moot court or mock trial teams should contact Dean Harrison.


Where can I find information about scholarship opportunities?

The Office of Financial Aid has compiled a list of external scholarship opportunities on the Loans & Scholarships page under “Outside Scholarships”. You must be enrolled at the school to access the scholarship list.

AJMLS Classified Ads

How do I access the AJMLS Classified Ads?

The Office of Student Affairs maintains the School’s Classified Ads page. Students use this page to post ads about rooms for rent, books for sale, joining carpools, and many other things. To access it, you must first log into your AJMLS email account. Students may access the Classified Ads Forum to post and view AJMLS ads by using this link.

Health Insurance

Does AJMLS provide health insurance to students?

No, AJMLS does not offer health insurance plans to students. Although the Law School will not require students to have insurance, we strongly encourage all students to purchase insurance coverage. An unexpected injury or sickness can result in heavy financial burdens. Given the high cost of education, these burdens sometimes force students to withdraw from law school. There are several ways to secure individual and family insurance plans. It is possible that you will find a plan that meets your individual needs by visiting the following websites:

Code of Student Responsibility

If I have witnessed or have knowledge of a violation of the Code of Student Responsibility, do I have to report it?

The Code of Student Responsibility states that any student who has knowledge of a code violation should report it to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs or the Associate Dean of Student Affairs. The Associate Dean of Academic Administration investigates alleged violations that are academic in nature. The Association Dean of Student Affairs investigates violations that are non-academic in nature.

If I am having a conflict with another student what should I do?

The Dean of Students mediates disputes between students and should be contacted if you have a conflict with a student that you do not feel capable of handling on your own, especially if the conflict is interfering with your studies.

If I perceive a student to be a threat what should I do?

To address incidences involving potential threats to student safety, AJMLS has created a Threat Assessment Team (TAT). The TAT is a multi-disciplinary team that responds to reports from faculty, staff, and students about behavior exhibited by a student that is disruptive and/or threatens, or that is perceived to threaten, the safety of the student or others on the AJMLS campus. The TAT also identifies and connects a student of concern with the appropriate interventions and provides periodic, post incident follow-up with the student, as needed.

Any student whose apparent physical and/or mental state or related conduct is such that the student may be, or has become, a threat to himself or herself, others, the educational process, or the AJMLS community in general should immediately be reported to 911 and the Threat Assessment Team.

What other resources are available to students?

The Law School also has victim advocates who are trained to provide assistance to students who experience sexual violence. While the victim advocates are not professional, licensed counselors, they are available to provide valuable sources of support for a complainant. The role of victim advocates is:

  • To provide options for access to medical care and forensic exams
  • To ensure victims/survivors are aware of their options for reporting
  • To help victims connect with counseling and crisis intervention services
  • To guide victims/survivors through the disciplinary process

If I have complaints or suggestions about how to improve the school who should I report them to?

Our staff has an open-door policy, but you may also schedule an appointment to speak with the Dean of Student Affairs. Students can anonymously submit concerns and/or recommendations through the online Suggestion Box. All requests are received and reviewed by the Dean of Students and other law school administrators.

If I have other complaints, suggestions, or concerns that I would like to discuss, who should I speak to about them?

The Dean of Student Affairs has an open door policy and welcomes your feedback on any aspect of your experience at the law school.

Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Complaints

What is Title IX?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School is committed to providing a successful learning and working environment for all members of its community, free from any sexual misconduct or harassment. The law school regards such behavior as a violation of the standard of conduct required of all students. In addition to facing sanctions from the law school for violation of its policy on sexual misconduct, a person who engages in sexual misconduct may be held personally liable to the victim and subject to sanctions independent of those imposed by the Law School. The Dean of Student Affairs shall serve as the contact person for all complaints made against John Marshall students. Students who are interested in filing a complaint against an AJMLS employee should contact the HR/Office Manager.

What resources are available to victims of sexual violence?

The Law School has several students who serve as victim advocates. Contact information for those students can be obtained from the Title IX Coordinator and on the law school’s website using this link. Off-campus counselors, advocates, and health care providers will also generally maintain confidentiality and will not share information with the Law School unless the complainant requests the disclosure and signs a consent or waiver form.

Below are a few other resources that offer assistance to victims of sexual misconduct or harassment:

Georgia Crisis and Access Line

Metropolitan Counseling Services
(404) 321-1794

Grady Rape Crisis Center
(404) 616-4861

Fulton Partnership Against Dom. Violence
(404) 873-1766

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network

Atlanta Police
(404) 230-9167

Where can I find the school’s Title IX policy?

The Title IX policy can be found here. The full policy on Sexual Misconduct is also found on the same page.

Where do I report acts of sexual misconduct?

The Law School provides several options for students who believe they have been subjected to sexual violence or harassment. Any law school student who has a concern, inquiry, or complaint regarding prohibited misconduct should feel free to seek information and advice concerning the law school’s policies and guidelines, its formal and informal grievance procedures, and the counseling and other services the law school makes available to victims of sexual misconduct or violence. If you have questions, please contact the Title IX Coordinator, Dean Sheryl Harrison, at (678) 916-2682 or (404) 808-7887. She can also be reached by email at

The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the law school’s response to allegations of sexual misconduct that are made against students and identifying and addressing any patterns of systematic problems revealed by such allegations. This would include ensuring that immediate and appropriate steps are taken to investigate or otherwise determine what occurred. When investigations reveal that reported sexual misconduct creates a hostile environment, the Title IX Coordinator is responsible for taking prompt and effective steps that are reasonably calculated to end the sexual misconduct, eliminate the hostile environment, prevent its recurrence and, as appropriate, remedy its effects.

Who do I call if I do not want to make a formal complaint?

The Law School encourages victims of sexual violence to talk to somebody about what happened so victims may receive the support they need and so the Law School may respond appropriately. Different employees on campus have different abilities to maintain a complainant’s confidentiality. A complainant has various reporting and confidential disclosure options available to them.

Professional, licensed counselors who provide mental-health counseling to members of the Law School community are not required to report any information about an incident to the Title IX Coordinator without a complainant’s permission. The Law School offers professional counselors on and off campus, free of charge. The contact information for those counselors are on this page.

A complainant who speaks to a professional counselor must understand that if the complainant wants to maintain confidentiality, the Law School may be limited in its ability to conduct an investigation into the particular incident or pursue disciplinary action against the respondent. Even so, the counselor will still assist the complainant in receiving other necessary protection and support, such as victim advocacy, academic support or working or course schedules. A complainant who at first requests confidentiality may later decide to file a complaint with the school or report the incident to local law enforcement and have the incident fully investigated. The counselor will provide the complainant with assistance if the complainant wants it.

Students who would like to file a complaint should direct their concerns and questions to Dean Harrison at Students should also complete the Title IX Sexual Assault Complaint Form which can be found by using this link.

What to do if I witness acts of sexual misconduct?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School strives to create a safe environment for students, faculty, and staff. If you have witnessed sexual misconduct, you can speak to a counselor or the Title IX Coordinator. Even if you have not been the victim of sexual misconduct, it is your responsibility as a student, a bystander, and a member of the community to report and discourage this type of behavior.

Students who have experienced an act of sexual misconduct will often disclose their experience to a friend or loved one first. This can be overwhelming for the person in the supportive role who may not know what to do or say to be helpful. It is important for victims to have people in their lives who will be empathetic, supportive and knowledgeable about available resources. If you have questions about the resources that are available, please contact the Title IX Coordinator at

Weekly Events

Does the school advertise weekly events?

The Office of Student Affairs sends a weekly email publication to all students that includes upcoming events. The newsletter advertises AJMLS student organization events and other events in the metro-Atlanta Area.

How can I get an event advertised in the Weekly Events newsletter?

All requests to include information in the weekly events newsletter must be approved by the Associate Dean of Student Affairs. Requests must be made and approved by 5:00 p.m. on the Wednesday before the week during which you want your notice to run. All requests should be emailed to


Does AJMLS offer housing for students?

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School has partnered with, an off-campus housing service for students that assists students in their efforts to search for housing accommodations and find roommates. also posts student sublets for free. Students, faculty and staff can use this service to conveniently search listings online.

To access this service, visit this link. Students may register to post a sublet/roommate listing here.
Landlords may register to post rental listings here. If you need additional information, please contact or 1-866-766-0767. Customer service hours are Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Room and Tabling Reservations

How do I request a room or table for an on campus event or meeting?

If you wish to reserve a room or table for an event or meeting, you may submit an online form to request the space. You will be required to enter your name, contact information, meeting/event date, and room options. The form can be found here.


What counseling resources are available to students?

Professional counseling services are available to Atlanta’s John Marshall Law students on and off campus at no charge to the student. Each student is allowed six free counseling sessions per year. Students may reach out to the Office of Student Affairs to schedule an appointment or contact the counselors directly, contact information may be found here.